Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Book burning

I was so frustrated with how long it was taking me to finish reading Trinity & Triunity, I wanted to either finish it or burn it. But I finally reached the end! It'll actually stay on my shelf for awhile. Here is one paragraph that touched the driving idea of the entire book:

'The interrelationships that become evident in the study of the doctrine of the Holy Trinity shed light on the interrelationships of other Scriptural doctrines. This pattern of interrelationships is important in understanding many doctrines of Scripture. In the simple analogy of space (height, width, and length), each dimension is all of space, but without all three there is no space...Likewise, any concept of salvation that lacks the triune aspect of grace, faith, and good works is a denial of the truth' (p.77)

Earlier in the book, Heinze said something I totally agree with. While we may study aspects of salvation, or members of the Triunity, separately, they do not exist separately. These items must be taught, and thought about, in the light/context of each other; just as teaching of the New Testament must be in light of the Old Testament. Narrow doctrinal studies have their place but cannot be the end of doctrinal studies.

I bought the book for $1 and I wouldn't recommend it to everyone looking to learn more about the Trinity. But while it was tough to get through I appreciated the author's thoughts and I know that time looking at God's mysterious, supernatural and distinct nature is not time wasted. I am inspired by the uniqueness of our God! His nature/essence is beyond our comprehension and, yet, is woven into, and often visible, in all that he does.

No comments: