Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Less Is More

A few years ago, Relient K used this as a title for one of their songs. The idea is very much John the Baptist ('HE must increase and I must decrease') and is a central component of character development -- less of me and more of Him -> less is more.

I've heard the idea in relation to teaching and preaching. I've bought into it. In the same amount of time, one idea can really be driven home better than four ideas.

I've also heard it in regards to organizational/programming stuff. Less activities can mean more in terms of relationship building and so on. Less can equal more. This thought has intrigued me and I think it has real value. Theoretically, if we focus on the essentials, then we could make more progress with them. If we had fewer peripheral activities, then, in theory, we would have better essential activities. I know that not everyone is on board with this thought, and I'm still working it out, but maybe someday this will infect the Church.

On Tony Morgan's blog (http://www.tonymorganalive.com/), he recently shared some good thoughts in the Less-is-More department:
  • Fewer meetings equal more meaningful relational connections.

  • Fewer commitments equal more time with family.

  • Fewer words equal a more focused message.

  • Fewer ministry programs equal a clearer path for discipleship.

  • Fewer rules equal more time to love God and love others.

Sweet! Well put and succint. Then he asked a fun question, 'Where do you see the “less is more” principle playing out in your life and ministry?' For the full post, http://tonymorganlive.com/2008/10/23/leave-the-awesome/


No comments: