Friday, June 13, 2008

Romans

I am reading through Paul's letter "to all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints." Here are some verses that have stood out to me:

9.8 "...it is not the natural children who are God's children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring."

9.16 "It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy."

11.29 "for God's gifts and his call are irrevocable."

It's the last verse that I keep looking at and thinking about. I don't usually preach from a single verse, I tend to use a chunk of verses or a story; but that one is too juicy to pass over! It's full of good stuff like a smoked sausage on the grill waiting, begging to be eaten. Or the perfect bowl of ice cream on a hot summer day. Man I'm hungry and I have digressed. I think 11.29 would preach well all by itself.

No comments: