Thursday, December 17, 2009

Drops Like Stars

I was surprised to find this at our local library, so I grabbed it up on my way to the checkout desk. Since it's due back today and I had only made it through the first few pages before this morning, I wasn't sure I could finish it and turn it back in on my way home. But this has to be the biggest book I've ever read in less than 20 minutes! There are alot of images and negative spaces in it's 160 pages. Here are some other things that stood out to me:

- Rob Bell is a creative.
- The images are nice.
- There is a broad spectrum of resources.
- The beauty and value of suffering was communicated well.
- The idea that Jesus identifies with our suffering is accurate and encouraging.
- Jesus' relationship to us and our suffering was not explained beyond that.
[I think that's unfortunate because He is more than the Great Sympathizer.]
- "...sometimes the most important work is knowing what to take away." p. 74
- The last story (from which the book's title is derived) is a very good endcap; it's memorable.

I've only read one other book by Bell. As before, he did a great job of expressing his thoughts. He writes (and speaks) in ways that cause me to think things over, and for that I am grateful. I am sure that some people will find some comfort as they are reading the book, but I am not sure that they will find comfort beyond that moment. As I noted in the bulleted points, I wish that he had said more about Jesus. Jesus' own ministry to those who were suffering was more than a ministry of presence or kindness, it also involved repair and restoration. While the book has good thoughts delivered in nice packaging it will not be the first book, about suffering, that I will recommend to others.

No comments: