Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Woodwork Parenting

I used to work with wood every single day. I was no craftsman but I learned what to look for and a few basic things about woodworking.

Parenting has some similiarities to that job: 1) I didn't know much when I started. 2) But I did it every day. 3) I learned along the way.

The following quote is a combo of Max Lucado's thoughts and Max quoting James Dobson. It tied parenting and woodworking together.

The key, I repeat, is sensitivity---tuning into the thoughts and feelings of our kids, listening to the clues they give us, and reacting appropriately. The sensitive heart rubs its fingers along the edges, feeling for the deep cracks . . . the snags . . . taking the time to hear . . . to care . . . to give . . . to share.

That's a good word from Max!

No comments: