Thursday, January 22, 2009

heart medicine

One book I read that wasn't on my 2008 list was Crazy Love by Francis Chan. It is excellent! Very challenging thoughts about God's crazy love for us and, is our love crazy for him? I sensed that I have slipped into a comfortable love; I'm asking him to make me crazy, obsessed.

Over the last few weeks I also realized a yucky thing about myself. I have been, too frequently, a tightwad/cheapskate with my own family. I can look back at times I've splurged on-the-moment for others, and yet I've told my own that we'll just have to wait. I don't wanna be stupid and get 'em whatever they desire but I don't wanna be stingy with my own family, that is stupid. I've got some debt I'd love to get rid of tonight but it'll happen even if it takes longer than I like. I can't let that goal make me a jerk either. And the big picture is this: God has always taken care of us, no matter how tightly or loosely we've spent/saved/scrimped/etc.

I'm still enjoying John Stott's Through the Bible, Through the Year. There are some readings and observations that get a second or third read from me. I appreciate that man.

I had some real cool (maybe crazy) thoughts about Samson but I haven't told any one yet.

This saying (I think I made it up) gets to me: "To be a better man, you'd better make better choices."

No comments: