Thursday, May 22, 2008

First thoughts

I commit to not doing this every day. [While I admire folks with that goal and that kind of discipline, that's not my gig.]

I commit to loving my family. (thanks Kenzie!)

I commit to continue hating the moles that seem to like my yard, jerks.

Random reasons I'm blogging:

1) Francis Bacon is credited with saying, "Writing maketh an exact man." Blogging appeals to me because it seems a simple, penless way to 'write' and, in turn, develop some 'muscles'. A private and public way to think through some things.

2) An easy way to share thoughts and convictions. As a pastor, not everything can be tucked into a regular lesson or an after-services conversation; blogging affords an opportunity to voice things wanting to get out.

3) I have no idea how valid this idea is, but another motivation is my kids. A blog can give them more access to their dad's heart and mind.

4) I like to try new things! If this isn't fun or useful, I can stop.

5) The price is right!

6) Finally, I've learned from and enjoyed other bloggers. Whether it's a thought, quote, or book recommendation there are things of value in this kind of 'community'. I hope to pass along the goodness and encourage or help someone else.

Curious concerns about blogging:

1) How much work is it? [time, energy, etc.]

2) How self-centered can this be?

3) You would think for someone who regularly stands in front of people and talks his thoughts that blogging his thoughts wouldn't be intimidating. The private thoughts in public domain is a little intimidating but probably just because it's just new and different.

Well, that's it for now, I'll be back later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Baxter,
I'm looking forward to reading more. Who knows, I may just learn something! I noticed that we have at least one commonality in that we both share Gladiator as a favorite movie.

Anonymous said...

Nicely done, I enjoy your authenticity and hope that this discipline proves to further your high view of Christ.